Sunday, April 22, 2012

New Unis for Umass?



Being a devot reader of Paul Lukas over at www.uni-watch.com, I couldn't help, but think about Umass possibly adopting new uniforms in preparation for their move to the FBS. I'd love for Umass to make this move I think it would be an excellent re-branding and would reinforce the standard of excellence Coach Molnar has set for the team. Plus we know that new uniforms sell with recruits as evidenced by this article on new conference rival Eastern Michigan's new unis:

http://no2minutewarning.com/2012/04/13/eastern-michigan-getting-in-on-he-new-uniform-maction/

I know black uniforms sell with recruits as well as shown in this article on Mizzou's new threads:

http://www.columbiamissourian.com/stories/2012/04/12/new-missouri-football-uniforms-part-long-branding-consistency-process/

I think Umass would be better served however, by taking the black they've been using in recent years out of their color scheme and putting a greater emphasis on white or silver. I'd also love to see new Umass helmets maybe with one of the design schemes posted by Matt Vautour on the Daily Hampshire Gazette which you can find here:

http://www.gazettenet.com/blog/umass-sports/new-helmet-ideas-we-have-submissions

Or maybe they should return to one of the helmets below, two of my favorites from years past (Sorry about the picture quality on the second credit for both helmets goes to www. umass74.blogspot.com).

What are your thoughts? Should they change uniforms, and if so what should they go with?




2 comments:

  1. I would like to see the UM helmet from Vautor's article or even just an M. I can't think of many schools that have a U in front of their main letter. Michigan, Georgia, Mizzou, Washington, etc. all have just a single letter, even though their names are succeeded or preceded by "University of."

    Keep writing this blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PJ,

      I think a single M would be a nice touch, and a powerful way of rebranding the team as they prepare for their move to the MAC. Thank you for your support and I hope to be writing this blog for a long time!

      -Mike

      Delete